how to show upstream changes to the user

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Jan 27 19:36:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 06:41:14PM +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 January 2009, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>
> > - It introduces a spec incompatibility, which can be taken care of in
> >    Fedora land but not so easy for EPEL side of things. Dunno if our
> >    buildsys ever does anything with the rpmbuild of the host system
> >    (I seem to recall it doing some part there but could easily be wrong),
> >    IF so this is pretty much a no-go.
>
> I suppose this has been asked/suggested before, but how about changing rpm so
> that its spec file parser doesn't error out but rather issues a big warning
> when it sees a tag like structure it doesn't understand, and ignores it?

Or allow RPM field names to be listed in a configuration file.  The
ones which RPM doesn't recognize, but which are in the file, are
ignored.  You break compatibility once, but allow future versions of
RPM to handle all future tags with relative ease (just add them to the
configuration file of earlier versions).

Did that make sense .....

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top