Draft: simple update description guidelines

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Jan 27 20:17:45 UTC 2009

Le mardi 27 janvier 2009 à 20:49 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis a écrit :

> Whatever:  I don't care much about this specific set of rules. It just
> seems to me a general trend that more and more rules and guidelines are
> put into place in Fedora-land; and more and more work is outsourced onto
> the packagers. Sure, some of the rules and the outsourcing is needed --
> but I find this trend very alarming.

This is a natural effect of the distribution growth. To reach a
particular size you need more people and to manage more people of uneven
experience you need more documents and procedures.

However, the primary target of any new guideline should be to avoid
unnecessary work at some level, increase efficiency, and permit more
growth, not add another source of inefficiencies to an already stressed
organisation.

Thus, if the aim is to limit needless pushes to stable (+10), I'd favour
a simple wording that says so plainly, instead of hiding behind a
complex "fill comments" page that will be at best ignored (and at worst
tragically misunderstood).

--
Nicolas Mailhot