xorg.conf - what to do for an input device

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Jan 27 22:06:05 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 10:34:47AM -0200, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 02:59:56PM -0200, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
> > > Well, I finished and I included a hal rule for loading wizardpen in xorg
> > > 1.5.3
> > >
> > > The spec file is here:
> > >
> > > http://people.atrpms.net/~pcavalcanti/specs/wizardpen.spec<http://people.atrpms.net/%7Epcavalcanti/specs/wizardpen.spec>
> > >
> > > Do you think that would be any interest in having wizardpen in Fedora?
> >
> > our current long-term approach is to get support for input devices into the
> > kernel and then let evdev deal with it automagically*. The times when X
> > needed
> > a separate driver for each device are gone and the sooner we forget about
> > it,
> > the happier we'll be.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >  Peter
> >
> > * doesn't work with all devices yet, but evdev is moving fast and is easy
> > enough to hack on.
> >

> evdev used to be easier, but it is not accepting the device identification
> by name anymore. One has to use /dev/input/by-id/ or /dev/input/by-path.
> And what about bluetooth devices? Would you know where can I get
> its identification?

if the kernel driver works for the device, HAL should provide the device file
and other information (the name for example) to the server. Check the output
of lshal, you can then merge custom options by adding/modifying an fdi file in
/usr/share/hal/fdi/policies/...
(no, storing input configuration in fdi files is not the best solution, but
the best we have ATM)

Cheers,
  Peter