Draft: simple update description guidelines

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 28 13:20:39 UTC 2009

Mail Lists wrote:

>  A "vote" is simply a compact way of expressing an opinion - yes it is
> more useful to add comments  as well, however a numerical opinion does
> not exclude that. Encourage communication not discourage.

  > Focus on the issue and the information - not on how people choose to
  > express it - the 'how' is largely tangential and detracts from the
  > issues at hand.

People who vote tend to use it as a replacement for more useful feedback
and to try and shout down a proposal.  Even looking in this thread, it
would be evident, why I discourage voting.  Not all communication is
useful. Especially communication that doesn't move beyond taking cheap
shots in irc and emails as has been happening the last couple of days in
response.  I don't find "how" as tangential especially when it is used a
excuse to be unnecessarily rude.

Jesse Keating tried to educate people by publically calling out
offenders. It doesn't scale and sometimes a cultural misfit. I prefer
documenting things instead. Less second guessing for everyone involved.

Rahul