Default ISA/tuning flags for GCC, --enable-kernel= level for glibc

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Jan 28 17:00:26 UTC 2009

On 2009-01-26 at 5:15:01 -0500, Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat.com> wrote:
> On sparc I guess
> we could just -mcpu=ultrasparc -mtune=ultrasparc always, given that the
> 32-bit support is being dropped.

To be clear, 32bit hardware support is being dropped, we are continuing
to use a 32bit userland.

Let's leave "sparc" alone, as that is well established and documented as
being v7 optimized only.

Assuming that -m32 is still in play for sparcv9, the ultrasparc tunings
seem logical. We could even tune to niagara1 specific optimizations for
the sparcv9v (32bit) target if they exist.

sparc64 (64bit) already had the ultrasparc tuning, and if any niagara1
opts exist, we could use them for the sparc64v target.

~spot