Lack of update information

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Thu Jan 29 10:25:26 UTC 2009

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> It's a fair point that not many users would decline the update just
> because it doesn't fix a bug which affects them. It's not so much about
> decision making, it's about having some explanation as to why the update
> is important.

If it's a bugfix release, it's important. period. Bodhi has a combobox
that specifies that. Whether the bug fix will affect a particular user
or not if nearly impossible to determine.

> If PackageKit pops up tells you there are 50 updates pending, it's much
> nicer if you can scan through the descriptions and come away with the
> conclusion that "oh, there's a bunch of important fixes in there" rather
> than "this is just a bunch of gratuitous updates, but if I don't apply
> them all I might miss something important".

The necessary vs unnecessary update is a completely different problem,
although it's also addressed by the draft and that's causing an
overreaction on the documentation side. I'm pretty sure everyone agrees
that updates to stable releases should be picked carefully by packagers.

-denis