Package Review Stats for the week ending January 18th, 2009

Conrad Meyer konrad at tylerc.org
Thu Jan 29 19:47:49 UTC 2009

On Thursday 29 January 2009 11:34:26 am Robert Scheck wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > IMHO, all packages should have open ACLs, with no exceptions (yes, even
> > the kernel!), and I don't think we should make it as hard to get into
> > provenpackager as some people are suggesting (10 to 15 sponsors needed,
> > WTF?).
>
> That every new packager having a single package can touch the kernel, glibc
> and gcc? Nice idea, yes. That would bring up the word "playground" again, I
> used today already.
>

> Greetings,
>   Robert

You think a newbie packager is just going to dive in and accidentally screw up
gcc and glibc without, say, contacting the owner(s) first? I can see two
possible cases for your sarcasm here:

  1) newbie tries to fix something without consulting owners at all
  2) newbie (actually, someone malevolant trying to break Fedora because they
hate Robert Scheck) breaks package intentionally

In either case, the package owner gets an email summarizing changes to CVS,
and can revert the CVS change. If the newbie was malevolant and/or the problem
persists, they can be kicked out of Fedora. If not, they learned their lesson
(similar to Wikipedia's "please go play in the sandbox, kid").

Regards,
--
Conrad Meyer <konrad at tylerc.org>