Maybe OT for this list: Programming languages for Fedora?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sat Jan 31 20:24:59 UTC 2009

Le samedi 31 janvier 2009 à 21:09 +0100, Jos Vos a écrit :
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 08:57:02PM +0100, David Nielsen wrote:
>
> > If you already know Java, C# is not hard to pick up and more programs are
> > starting to leverage the .NET framework in Linux these days. With Fedora
> > comes MonoDevelop which is an excellent easy to approach IDE, it supports
> > many popular languages but I highly recommend it for working with C#.
>
> I think if someone asks for appropriate programming languages for
> helping with Fedora, the last advise he should get is looking at C#,
> .NET or Java.  The Fedora (and Unix/Linux world) supports these, but
> only languages like C/C++/Python/Perl/shell are (and should) used for
> the base environment.
>
> Please do not encourage people to use C# or Java for system-level
> programs.

For system-level programs no, but for middleware and up Java is a good
choice and we have many Red Hat/Fedora people working hard to make
openjdk work well under Linux. Fedora is more than just low-level system
work.

As for C#/Mono… it has specific adoption problems and it's certainly not
something we should suggest to an innocent beginner.

--
Nicolas Mailhot