fesco meeting summary - 2009-01-30

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Jan 31 23:10:15 UTC 2009

Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> No, as Seth has pointed out, luckily a newer rpm is not needed. The
> issue is to have python-hashlib available for yum. Plus some
> dependencies (urlgrabber for instance).

That's not what the feature page says. It says an RPM backport would be too
big for F9. I think you're talking about only one part of the feature,
which is SHA256 for metadata. But the plan is to also use it everywhere
inside RPM packages, and that needs support from RPM. Config files in RPM
use MD5 to check for modification. Signatures are done on MD5 hashes. Etc.
All this is to be replaced with SHA256, which needs RPM 4.6.

        Kevin Kofler