RFC: Kernel changes that may affect desktops

Ding Yi Chen dchen at redhat.com
Wed Jul 1 01:52:30 UTC 2009

----- "Matthew Garrett" <mjg at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 05:48:44PM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > What changes are needed to the desktop?
> >
> > The big problem we've been facing integrating new features of core
> system
> > services into KDE so far was lack of documentation. What do we need
> > change?
>
> An event will be generated and a policy agent then needs to choose
> what
> to do in terms of unmounting any media. The precise interface doesn't
>
> exist yet, but will be documented.
>
> > If this will be all handled within DeviceKit, then this will come by
> itself
> > with the Solid DeviceKit backend ltinkl is working on, but if we
> need to
> > add some desktop interaction for it, we have to know what it should
> be.
>
> So, what you'll get is a notification that a block device has
> requested
> removal along with a notification that a dock device is being
> undocked.
> What you do with the block device is up to you, but in general you'll
>
> want to unmount it. Whether you're willing to kill applications that
> have open files on it is a policy decision. After the unmount you'll
> then trigger the completion of the undock and tell the user that it's
>
> now safe to remove their hardware.

IMHO, it is pretty much similar to the way that we handle USB hubs and devices.

In terms of UI, it may have a nice dock status icon to show status and to be pressed
if users want to un-dock safely.

Yet we still need to handle the force-undock event, just like we handle the
forced unplug USB devices.

--
Ding-Yi Chen
Software Engineer