[ANNOUNCEMENT] dracut-0.3

John5342 john5342 at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 2 12:23:14 UTC 2009

2009/7/2 Harald Hoyer <harald at redhat.com>:
> On 07/02/2009 01:25 PM, Daniel Drake wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 13:14 +0200, Harald Hoyer wrote:
>>>
>>> The idea is to pregenerate a generic initrd and package it in an rpm and
>>> deliver
>>> it together with the kernel. There should be no need to generate the
>>> initrd on
>>> an X0-1 itsself.
>>
>> Is it going to work like this in standard Fedora too?
>> Or will dracut be invoked like mkinitrd is today, that is at RPM-install
>> time on the target system?
>>
>> Daniel
>>

> My personal target is to deliver the initrd image with the kernel. For
> performance issues or special needs one can install dracut and generate his
> own image, if new kernels are installed.
>
> We will see, if can work that way.

Can i just point out that i am probably not the only one to require
omitting some modules and adding others to the initrd image. With the
current setup i run mkinitrd once when i first install (using rescue
disk) and then these altered options are remembered so it creates the
correct initrd whenever the kernel is updated. If i understand
correctly and the initrd images are pre-generated within an rpm then
my mods will be overwritten on each update and i would presumably need
to run dracut manually after each kernel update to replace the
pregenerated initrd. That would be a major regression and surely
cannot be allowed to happen.
Please accept my apologies if i got it all wrong.

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't...