Re: an update to automake-1.11?

On Mon, 2009-07-06 at 17:53 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> So, the choices are, once it's identified where configure goes wrong are:
>
> 1) Fix the configure script, with shellcode whose contents are well
> understood
>
> 2) Patch configure.ac, and feed it to a code generator that spits out a
> brand new configure script.
>
> Your turn. Of course, if you take #2, you would, of course, verify which
> specific version of autoconf the upstream used, and whether the differences
> between your's and upstream's autoconf does not have any other impacts on
> the configure script.

I suppose it depends whether you consider the initial act of package
creation, or the continued maintenance of that packaging, to be more
time consuming.  All I know is that rediffing patches to configure.ac
takes way less time than rediffing against configure, and that as a
practice that hasn't (non-trivially) bitten me once in over three years,
where configure patches have.

- ajax