an update to automake-1.11?

John5342 john5342 at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 7 18:57:49 UTC 2009

2009/7/7 Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta at iki.fi>:
> On Tuesday 07 July 2009, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Ville Skyttä wrote:
>> > The FSF seems to disagree with that.
>> >
>> > http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/html_node/Distributing.html#D
>> >istributing
>>
>> That applies to the automatically copied shell code, but not necessarily to
>> the code from the original configure.ac.
>
> Well, the copyright notice at the top of configure (included in my previous
> mail) pretty clearly tells me what I can do with the script, and who to
> contact in case I'd disagree or have any questions.

That might be true but although the header in configure doesn't
mention it it is generated based on whats in configure.ac and
therefore it could be considered a derivative work. End result is if
the package is e.g GPLv2 then configure.ac probably is and it then
follows that the generated configure is potentially also GPLv2.

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't...