multi-distro specs (was noarch subpackages)

Ben Boeckel MathStuf at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 14:29:51 UTC 2009

Rick L. Vinyard, Jr. wrote:

> Ben Boeckel wrote:
>>
>> yersinia wrote:

>> (pre F10) if I
BuildArch:
>> noarch?

>> feature only

>>> No, it is not right for me. The BuildArch issue depends on
the
>> RPM version
>>> and not from from distro version. It is simply bad style,
>> IMHO, defining
>>> in the SPEC file something that depends from the
>> "distribution" (in the
>>> large sense not only fedora). I never see
>>> this style in RHEL package (appart some little package for
the
>> rpm keys
>>> ecc). Ok is SUSE yes but, again, i don't like define a
>> dependency based on
>>> a "distro" version, if possible anyway.
>>>
>>> regards
>>
>> I don't think you should use a spec file for two distros.
AFAIK,
>> SuSE uses /opt for stuff. Fedora uses /usr. The file listings
>> would be different for each. I don't think you can have an
>> every-rpm-distro-under-the-sun specfile and not have it
either
>> messy or wrong.
>>

> Doesn't %{_datadir} and %{_libdir} take care of that?

Probably, which answers the concern there, but you still have
package splits differing. Fedora has tarball-level splits. Other
distros do app-level splits (Debian(-based) at least, though not
RPM could still happen with an RPM distro). Still a filelists
issue. You also have package naming to deal with.

Though I suppose is a moot point as well if it's a side-effect
of sharing spec files.

- --Ben