Feature proposal: Rebootless Installer

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Jul 14 13:51:44 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 4:04 AM, Douglas
McClendon<dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org> wrote:

> i.e. simply a checkbox before beginning installation stating whether you want rebootless instead of traditional.

I don't think the installation process needs more questions.  Also,
off by default means it won't get testing and will eventually bitrot.

It's unclear to me what your plan is for handling firstboot, which is
a critical part of the OS setup. Now, we should probably move most of
the current firstboot questions into anaconda.  At a minimum, it'd be
useful to ask them when you'd otherwise be staring at the image
copying progress bar.

Another issue that occurs to me is that the livecd user, besides not
matching the target username, also has no password (and I believe
won't have an encrypted gnome keyring), but this is different from the
expected target installation.

So this looks technically cool, but there are a lot of problems to
investigate and solve that it brings up.