NVR bugs in rawhide

Jussi Lehtola jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 14 13:54:26 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 15:37 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > %dist should be used always.
>
> No.  Particulary for noarch data packages, using %dist bears an
> additional risk. Because it becomes possible to tag a package on
> multiple branches and break inheritance by building for more than
> the oldest branch.

So, how do you do it without the %dist branch? AFAIK then you have to
manually make sure that the EVR in F(N) is greater than that in F(N-1).

Say I've built foo-1-1 in rawhide a year ago and thus the package is
available now in F-10 and F-11. How do I update to foo-2-1 in both
distros?

> In other cases, for example, %dist suggests that a spec/src.rpm would be
> dist-independent and could simply be copied to multiple branches. That
> doesn't need to be true.

Yes, that is true.
--
Jussi Lehtola