No Frozen Rawhide

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Jul 22 16:39:32 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:57:13 -0400,
  Jarod Wilson <jarod at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 July 2009 19:04:50 Jesse Keating wrote:
> > I've done some updating to the no frozen rawhide proposal[1].  There is
> > still time to enact this for Fedora 12, which would take effect when we
> > reach Alpha freeze in a couple weeks.  I'd like another round of people
> > reviewing it and giving feedback before we take it to FESCo.  Thanks!
>
> Only thing I'm not terribly wild about is storing the pre-release tree
> in /pub/fedora/linux/releases/#/Everything/. Its bound to cause some
> confusion amongst the general population. Any reason not to keep it at
> /pub/fedora/linux/releases/test/#/Everything/ instead?

Having it in /pub/fedora/linux/releases/#/Everything/ (where # is an integer,
not the *.9? stuff) makes it easier for people following development in that
scripts for syncing repositories will be consistant between when you are
on rawhide and when you are on a release. Assuming that fedora-release also
starts using compatible version naming, then you can also consistantly use
$releasever in development as well.

I think the confusion for normal users will be minimal, because normal users
won't be looking at the raw repos in any case.

Livna has recently started doing this. I don't know if they plan to continue
this long term, but the already have a /12 directory.