fedora 11 worst then ever release

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Sun Jul 26 19:28:33 UTC 2009

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 07/26/2009 02:37 PM, Seth Vidal wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 Jul 2009, Alan Cox wrote:
> >> "all of my system has a wrong openssl version"
> >>
> >> all these symptoms sound like your upgrade went horribly wrong. I've
> >> seen preupgrade mash up a box by half upgrading like that. It's the main
> >> reason
> >> I don't think preupgrade is actually safe to use yet.
> >
> > Preupgrade's process is to depsolve - using the same method anaconda
> > does, download the pkgs it solves out. Put them in a cachedir. Download
> > a kernel and an initrd, Setup a ks.cfg. then reboot the machine and
> > allow anaconda to do the install.
> >
> > Specific issues we've had with preupgrade are related to not being able
> > to find a mirror and/or not being able to get pkgs.
>
> Mine were
> * preupgrade running out of diskspace on / when trying to fill
> /var/cache/yum (my "/"'s tend to be minimized/small)

You're not blaming Preupgrade for the partition being too small, are you? If
you want a small root partition you should put /var/cache/yum on another
partition.

Do you mean Preupgrade didn't handle the lack of disk space well?

> * anaconda failing during reboots due not being able to process fstab
> correctly (FC11's anaconda misparses fstab and is unable able to process
> bind-mounts nor nfs-mounts).
>
> * anaconda's depsolving failed when upgrading an FC10 + FC10-updates
> system due to NEVR issues.

Those would be Anaconda issues, not Preupgrade issues – which makes them all
the more serious.

Björn Persson