Updated Fedora 12 Schedule (take 2)

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Mon Jul 27 03:59:21 UTC 2009

Mark McLoughlin said the following on 07/24/2009 05:55 AM Pacific Time:
> Hi John,
>
> (Cc-ing fedora-devel-list, surprised to see the schedule hasn't been
> posted there)

It was approved by FESCo in May
https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/143 and should have appeared on
fedora-devel as part of the meeting recap.

The schedules below are detailed schedules for a specific team.  There
were no changes to the major milestones originally approved:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/12/Schedule

> On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 21:09 -0700, John Poelstra wrote:
>
>> http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-12/f-12-releng-tasks.html
>> http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-12/f-12-releng.ics
>
> In the F-11 schedule, we had 85 days between Feature Freeze and GA. And
> then GA slipped by two weeks.
> In the F-12 schedule, we now have 99 days between Feature Freeze and GA.

For Fedora 12 An extra week was added to accommodate Linux plumbers
conference, etc...https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/1271

In addition there are four weeks in the Fedora 12 schedule for Alpha
(previously known as Beta) versus the three weeks in Fedora 11--this was
an oversight in the setting of the Fedora 11 schedule which did not
allow for three weekly snapshots.

> This seriously cuts into development time, and we already have a shorter
> releases cycle.

This is one of the reasons it was discussed almost a month or more
before the GA of Fedora 11.

> Why is that?

To get back on the regular "Halloween/May Day" release schedule.  The
original alpha (as we used to know it) was dropped by Releng in an
effort to add more development time back... this was discussed on
fedora-devel.

John