[ANNOUNCE] New Mixer Handling in PA 0.9.16/F12

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 16:41:20 UTC 2009

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 18:58:55 -0500, Matthew wrote:

> Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > On Thu, 30.07.09 17:09, Matthew Woehlke (elided) wrote:
>
> Please do not quote my e-mail address unobfuscated in message bodies.

> >> /me misses fm synth :-)
> >>
> >> (At least, I'm still looking for something that will turn a MIDI into a
> >> .wav/.ogg/etc that sounds like an SB16... DOS MIDI player in dosbox is
> >> the closest I've found so far, but it sucks for batch processing.)
> >
> > Try timidity.
>
> You have a soundfont that sounds like an OPL3? If so, I would be much
> appreciative if you could hook me up. (But I'm guessing you failed to
> read the part about "sounds like an SB16"... i.e. an OPL3 fm synth chip,
> not the AWE-generation wavetable stuff. I *do* still have my Creative
> AWE .sf2's, thank you.)

You cannot come close to OPL3 with just soundfonts or wavetables. It would
need OPL3 chip emulation (similar to "adplug", in Fedora). And even then
you need a MIDI player that implements approximately the same instrument
definitions as the original one from DOS/Windows. For many MIDI
soundtracks created for AdLib as well as OPL2/3, it needs a special
AdLib/OPL3 driver that programs the original synthetical instruments.

Btw, early AWE-generation boards, such as the AWE32, also had AdLib plus
OPL3 onboard.