Announcing Fedora Activity Day - Fedora Development Cycle 2009

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Jun 2 23:08:15 UTC 2009

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> It IMHO shows a big and more and more pressing problem in Fedora:
> Packagers and leadership are not working towards the same direction.

The best solution for that is to change the leadership. :-) So don't vote
for the same old hats for FESCo and FPB.

> One comment: *from a outside* it often looks a bit like
> - some (not all) people go crazy for weeks or months and ignore some of
> those bugs that are not pressing, but nevertheless pressing (e.g. kind
> of bugs that tend to land on target or blocker tracker bugs or already
> are there)
> - then you send a reminder "there will be a a test release next week"
> - people suddenly wake up and try to fix those bugs for the test release
> - they notice: arghh, serious things are broken, we need more time; can
> we please slip?
> - we slip
>
> Maybe more target dates where people should "get things into shape"
> might help to reduce the work for the real test/final releases.

Actually a better strategy is to just schedule the release a few weeks
earlier than when you actually want to release, then the slips will make it
hit the real target date very closely. :-)

But I don't see those slips as a big issue in the first place.

        Kevin Kofler