Announcing Fedora Activity Day - Fedora Development Cycle 2009

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Jun 3 07:16:02 UTC 2009

On 02.06.2009 22:14, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 09:30:17PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>> We need to move ~130GB to each of ~230 mirrors, in about 4
>>> days.
> The 130GB is what we posted for F10.  Of that, 48GB were ISOs, 93GB
> was the Everything/ tree which was hardlinked from rawhide, so yes,
> that would cut down on the transfer quite a bit.
>
> Honestly, I don't recall how the signing aspect went for F10.  If the
> process involved signing, then copying the packages into the
> Everything tree, then there wouldn't be hardlinks to help.

They would -- just copy the files two days ahead of signing somewhere (a
temporary hidden place not exported to the world for example). When you
sign later and put the files in the proper place then iirc just the
signature of the files need to be updated, which rsync handles well.

[...]
>> Or what am I missing?
> I think you're right, except that RC ISOs aren't published ahead of
> time for mirrors to sync,

Which shouldn't be to hard to do, or?

> and signing of the RPMs that land in the
> Everything tree if they weren't signed, or were signed with a
> different key.  I believe the signing process has changed for F11, so
> the packages in rawhide are signed with the F11 release key.  I think
> that means at some point, either through a mass rebuild, or through a
> resigning, rawhide will then need to be re-signed with the F12 key.

Yeah, that's how I understood it as well. But it means it should be easy
to hardlink the files in the target place when a test/final release
happens, which is something quite easy for rsync afaics.

CU
knurd