Maintainer Responsibilities

Ben Boeckel MathStuf at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 12:18:53 UTC 2009

Till Maas wrote:

> On Wed June 3 2009, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>
>> And I don't think we can make bug reports any easier, the
point is that the
>> information is required, those "complicated" forms are there
to request the
>> information we need.
>
> I disagree:
>
> On https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=Fedora
there are around
> 29 form elements and the majority of these elements does not
need to be used
> by the non experienced bug reporter or are not used at all.
>
> Absolutely required are imho: component, version, summary,
description,
> security sensitive bug, External Bug and sometimes
attachments or URL (8
> elements). Rarely the platform is required, but there does
not need to be such
> a long list of different archs for the normal user.
> There are also some elements that are not used at all: OS,
Target Milestone,
> QA Contact, Estimated Hours and Deadline (5 elements) or not
yet always used:
> severity and priority. Also the "Fedora Project Contributors"
checkbox seems
> not to be used.
>
> The other elements are only used by experienced bug reporters
or within the
> triage process, e.g. Assign To, CC, Alias, Whiteboard, Clone
Of, Keywords,
> Depends on, blocks, 4 flags (12 elements).
>
> In conclusion, more than 66% of the form elements can be
removed for the
> unexperienced bug reporter. Also the component selection
process could be made
> easier, because the mapping from rpms to components could be
made
> automatically after a bug reporter supplied the name of the
rpm he had
> problems with.
>
> Regards
> Till

Maybe a form (like Review Request) for Simple Bug Report (or
something) that's the default? I have the bug report page
bookmarked in any case (the trail of links to get there from
the front page is too much IMO; I haven't been able to get it
below 3 or 4).

- --Ben