Proposal (and yes, I'm willing to do stuff!): Must Use More Macros

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Jun 6 16:49:09 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 10:31:23 -0700,
  Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ScriptletSnippets
>
> it seems to me that this is a bit of a silly approach - it encourages
> cut and paste errors (or people cutting and pasting non-canonical blocks
> from other people's spec files), it just looks bad in spec files, and if
> any of those snippets happens to need to be changed a bit - say, the
> syntax for updating the desktop database changes, or something - we'd
> have to adjust them in seven zillion different spec files.

It is error prone. When I started working on reviving the games spin, I found
several packages that used those kinds of scripts without the proper pre
requirements. In normal use you wouldn't see a problem, but when building
live images trying to run scripts before coreutils was installed tended
to cause problems.