How to enable xorg.conf in F-11

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jun 11 18:25:18 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 09:17 -0500, Jud Craft wrote:
> I think the Fedora release notes mention that if you run the tool
> system-config-display, it will automatically generate an xorg.conf for
> you.
>
> >From the Common F11 Bugs, under "Miscellaneous problems with Intel
> graphics adapters ":
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F11_bugs#intel-misc-gfx
>
> "/etc/X11/xorg.conf. If that file does not exist, you can run
> system-config-display as root to create it."

I'm glad to see people referring to the common bugs page - yay :)

However, I have to admit that's one of my more hand-wavey moments (I
wrote that bit) - I was in a hurry and didn't check whether a)
system-config-display is actually installed by default (it may not be,
and thanks to NetworkManager, if you can't get into X, you may well not
have a network connection in order to install it...) and b) whether it
runs in console mode.

I should probably investigate and come up with a more comprehensive,
hand-holdy note.

I believe running Xorg -configure as root from *outside* of X will
create a /root/xorg.conf.new file which you can move
to /etc/X11/xorg.conf , as an alternative method.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey