Orphaning Packages: audacious and dependencies

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 09:54:40 UTC 2009

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 16:21:40 -0300, Paulo wrote:

> > > I would also call the libs package libs2, so the previous lib package do
> > not
> > > need to be removed during the upgrade.
> >
> > That would create an orphan, an obsolete audacious-libs package which
> > is not tied to any current src.rpm package, and which could cause
> > problems in the future (such as unresolvable deps).
> >
> > http://mschwendt.fedorapeople.org/audacious-2.0.1-0.1.fc10.src.rpm
> > http://mschwendt.fedorapeople.org/audacious-plugins-2.0.1-0.3.fc10.src.rpm(updated)
> >

> In fact, I have one:
>
> http://atrpms.net/name/mp3splt-gtk/
>
> However, it can always be rebuilt with the new lib, which will increase the
> soname
> version. Furthermore, the source is still referencing audacious (not
> audacious2),
> and will have to be patched.

What I mean with "not tied to any current src.rpm package" is that no package
in the Fedora package collection would remove or update the old
audacious-libs-1.5.1 orphan that may be found on some users' installations.

Knowlingly leaving obsolete packages on users' machines is frowned upon,
especially if the rest of Audacious is upgraded to v2.

For some  time the old audacious-libs-1.5.1 will still work (lacking a
corresponding audacious-devel-1.5.1 package, however, unless you
would want to rename the new one to audacious2-devel or something
matching audacious-libs2), but as soon as one of its dependencies will
change significantly (see rpm -qR audacious-libs), it would need a rebuild
to avoid dependency breakage. Such a rebuild is not possible if no Fedora
src.rpm package is responsible for producing audacious-libs-1.5.1 anymore.