rpmconf - tool to handle rpmnew and rpmsave files

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jun 12 16:00:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 14:30 +0200, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> I've been tired for some time of watching rpmnew and rpmsave files. I've
> been looking for some tool, but did not find any, so I wrote my own.
>
> http://miroslav.suchy.cz/fedora/rpmconf/rpmconf
>
> Before I spend more times on this script, I would like to hear your
> opinion. Do you find it useful? Did it already exists and I miss it in
> my search?

http://learn.clemsonlinux.org/wiki/Gentoo:etc-update

That's etc-update, originates from Gentoo, and handles rpmnew/rpmsave
files (I think it just matches any filenames in /etc that look to be
variants of each other).

Mandriva has rather simple handling of these files in its graphical
package manager, rpmdrake:

http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/soft/rpmdrake/trunk/Rpmdrake/rpmnew.pm?view=markup

it more or less just shows you a diff between the old and new configs,
and asks which you'd like to use. No editing / reconciliation is
possible. And it's in perl. =)

There may be others, but those are the ones that spring to mind.

(btw, if anyone's wondering why there's always a blank line above my sig
now, this appears to be a 'feature' of Evolution in Rawhide...it
includes a blank line before the separator in the signature block).

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey