Why a multilib wrapper for non-multilib architectures?!

Robert Scheck robert at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jun 13 19:57:00 UTC 2009

Hello everbody,

can somebody please explain me, why we've multilib wrappers for packages
at non-multilib architectures such as arm, alpha, ia64 and sh?

 - http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/devel/gmp/gmp-mparam.h?view=co
 - http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/devel/e2fsprogs/ext2_types-wrapper.h?view=co
 - http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/devel/apr/apr-wrapper.h?view=co
 - http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/devel/openssl/opensslconf-new.h?view=co

Where's the reason to have a whatever-archname.h if there's no multilib
available on that architecture? From my point of view, multilib wrappers
only make sense on the architectures %{ix86}/x86_64, ppc/ppc64, s390/s390x,
%{sparc}/%{sparcx} and %{mips}/%{mipsel}/%{mipsx}. Tell me, if I'm wrong,
but %{arm}, alpha, ia64 and sh are single-lib, ie. they've only 32 or 64
bit and no multi-arch.

I've already raised up the question to the package maintainers, and Joe
has suggested me to ask on fedora-devel for the correct list or reasons
for the current behaviour.

Greetings,
  Robert