Do we need split media CDs for F12?

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jun 15 05:09:52 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-06-13 at 08:46 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> (Reposting to f-d-l from my blog post last night.
> http://domsch.com/blog/?p=85 includes a couple nice graphs to help
> illustrate.)
>
> CDs are Dead. Long live CDs.
>
> I was running some stats on the Fedora 11 release, and an interesting
> thing caught my eye. Very few people are downloading the six (or in
> the case of PPC, seven) CDs to perform a Fedora install. Very Very
> few. In fact, at most, six people downloaded split media CDs using the
> Fedora mirror servers in the first few days.

 I find that hard to believe, unless you mean via. MirrorManager?
 I know I downloaded all six CD isos directly from the kernel.org
mirror, within a few hours of GA.
 For previous releases I'd tended to use the torrent, to get them all,
as it was somewhat easier (but slower).

>  This in contrast to the
> over 234,000 direct downloads of DVDs and LiveCDs in the same amount
> of time. BitTorrent statistics are a little better for CDs: 908
> completed downloads of the split media CDs, out of 41,235 total
> downloads (or ~2.2 %).

 These are believable, but I'd still put money on the fact that more
than 2.2% of users use CDs ... one of my machines here is an x86_64 Dell
box, about 2 years old. And only has a CD drive.
 Now, sure, I normally only burn CD 1 ... and then use an exploded http
install for anaconda. So I could probably make DVD only work, but it's
much easier to just get the CDs.
 I'm also pretty sure my current laptop is DVD RO, but CD RW.

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>
Fedora