Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 01:07:08 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 08:16:36PM -0400, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>2009/6/16 梁穗隆
>>
>> I hear that Fedora administrator will change the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12. The default arch is i686+SSE2.
>>
>> In my opinion, I do not want to change it. Or only change to i686. SSE2 is not necessary.
>>
>> Why do I think that? Because I live in China, and I have many friends who is using Fedora. But they use their old computer to install Fedora. They are extreme Fedora fans. But their CPU does not
>> support  SSE2, for example Athlon XP 2500+(Barton Core) , Tualatin Pentium 3 at more than 1.2GHz,  Some guys are using Dual Athlon or Pentium 3. With 1GB RAM, I think their computer have > enough performance to run Fedora 12. But If Fedora give up SSE-only CPU support, they will get away from Fedora and change to other Linux ditrubution. As I see, It is quite bad for Fedora project > and Fedora will lost a lot of users in developing countries.
>>
>> So I suggest that Fedora 12 change 32-bit x86 arch to i686+SSE, not i686+SSE2.
>>

>Another suggestion from me:
>
>- Let's keep F-12 the same: ppc, ppc64, i586, x86_64
>- Since ppc and ppc64 are going to be dropped from F-13, fill in the
>blank spot with i686+SSE2, i.e. F-13: i586, i686+SSE2, x86_64
>
>Everyone happy?

No.  But that isn't the point.

Someone else ask what the real benefit to moving to i686+SSE2 is.
I haven't seen overwhelming evidence that a huge benefit exists.
I think somone is working on gathering more data, but unless it shows
massive gains (1-2% is not massive), then I don't see why we'd change
anything at all.

I'm sure I'm missing something here.

josh