FESCo meeting summary for 2009-06-26

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Jun 27 02:08:34 UTC 2009

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> Yikes. I wouldn't recommend Fedora to casual computer users. I would (and
> have) recommend starting with Ubuntu and if they become interested in
> particpating, suggest that Fedora is great for that.
>
> It may be, that in the F12 time frame, Fedora will have fewer issues with
> things like Video cards, sound and the like, so that only having to deal
> with issues caused by software patents will not be such a high barrier,
> that I would have a problem recommending it to people who I think might
> eventually want to participate.

Yeah, I think it's pretty pointless to shoot for that kind of users. Those
are the kind of users who go complaining everywhere about what crap Fedora
supposedly is because they're unable to fix even the slightest issue with
it, they already get stuck at the point where they're trying to play their
first MP3 file. If people can't do the small amount of resarch it takes to
know what GNOME and KDE are, they won't be able to find things like RPM
Fusion either.

        Kevin Kofler