FESCo meeting summary for 2009-06-26

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 21:11:11 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 7:03 AM, Kevin Kofler<kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> None of this is going to change with a FESCo vote. What it requires is
>> someone interested in working with the websites team.
>
> The websites team has told me that using "Desktop Edition" as the name was a
> FESCo decision, that's why I brought up the name change in FESCo.
>
> Can we please stop the "hot potato" tactics and work together on fixing this
> mess? Or are the folks involved (except for me) just not interested in
> actually fixing the problem (or even actively interested in NOT fixing it)
> and thus trying to push it off to somebody else? Unfortunately, that's the
> impression I'm getting. :-(

Here are the issues as I see it:

1) You are using language that inflames opinions (as much as the
people talking opposite). And then you want reason to come into the
discussion.
2) You see a problem, but are having a problem communicating what the
problem is without going into what I a neutral person feel like is
'you are with us or against us'. Personally we all know how that
usually goes. Doesn't matter if the cause is just people will choose
to be against because they do not like that kind of rhetoric.
3) You keep trying to get the last word as if that will somehow will
win an internet fight.

You want things fixed? How about the following:
A) Quit being vocal about it. It is only throwing chum in the water
and basically turning people off. Look and listen. Ask people
privately what they are seeing and why you aren't getting your point
across.
B) Look at the problem and realize its currently not (and probably
never been ) about technical qualifications. Either side pushing what
features are in and are out are missing the point. Look and learn what
the point really is and frame the questions and possible answers to
answer those hidden points.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux