RFC: automagically set wireless regulatory domain in cfg80211

Kyle McMartin kyle at mcmartin.ca
Mon Mar 2 15:36:09 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 02:04:37PM +0100, Christoph H?ger wrote:
> This means, I am missing some channels here in good old germany (e.g. 12
> & 13). Apparently the US domain seems to be a subset of the EU domain,
> so I can not use channels that are prohibited by the EU domain.
>
> So wouldn't it make sense to ask for the current locale and set the
> parameter in /etc/modprobe.d when updating/installing either the kernel
> or module-init-tools?

Locale? hah. What does the language your computer presents text have to do
with where in the world your computer is?

The channels you've listed are the world regulatory domain, a subset of
all domains which is globally appropriate, and unlikely to cause
problems for roaming users.

Run
	iw reg set CA
to set it for Canada, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-2 for the appropriate two
letter countrycode. In your case, obviously 'DE'. :)

NetworkManager can probably set this somehow as well, but I haven't
bothered figuring out how.

regards, Kyle