Fedora ATi driver performs much worse than the vanilla code

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Wed Mar 4 09:30:46 UTC 2009

Joshua C. wrote:

> I did some test and here are the results:
>
> "These results are not representative for all the fedora community.
> They just show how the free radeon driver performs on my pc"

[snip]

> These results represent a regression in my case.

Thank you for your detailed tests.

I've also noticed very bad performance on a r300 based laptop
which used to work well with older Fedora releases (up to F8
for sure), but it is now practically unusable with rawhide.

My tests were not as extensive as yours, but I didn't manage
to find an acceptable combination of parameters.

It was particularly confusing for me as my intention with
rawhide was to test KDE 4 and it was not too clear if the
slugginess was related to the new KDE stuff (widgets,
compositing,...) or something more low level.
But it's low level: moving windows burns CPU and is slow.

I'm really looking forward to having a solution for this issue.

Best regards.
   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it