FESCo Meeting Summary - 2009-03-06

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 9 12:29:19 UTC 2009

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 07:34:07AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 11:10:52AM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>>> http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct
>>
>> I'll also point out that Fedora has existed for a number of years without
>> a documented code of conduct.  While the document you pointed to is
>> certainly nice, I don't see the need to write down and require everyone
>> to sign something that is just plain common sense.
>
> It can be useful to formally write down things which are 'plain common
> sense', so that when someone isn't showing common sense you can point
> them to it and say 'you are violating this rule, stop'.

and then what?

After someone says 'stop', if the person either 1. does not agree with the
code or 2. does not believe themselves to be violating the code  then what
will fesco or the board or whomever do?

Delete the user's account? Socially ostracize them? What?

Codes of Conduct are silly unless there is some enforcement and enforcing
behavior in a volunteer organization is extremely hard.

-sv