FESCo Meeting Summary - 2009-03-06

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Mar 9 18:51:32 UTC 2009

Richard W.M. Jones (rjones at redhat.com) said:
> > > I did not see this one the action list for this meeting, nor was I even
> > > invited to argue the case for this.
> >
> > The feature wrangler requested that FESCo issue a decision on it.
>
> It's not the first time it has happened that some feature has been
> dropped without the owner being told that a decision was going to be
> made.  I think this should, as common courtesy, go back before FESCo
> next week.

Here's what happened, in its entirety:

- David wrote up the Feature page
- It was not discussed at FESCo for a period of time, as it was pretty
  obvious from the commentary both on the desktop list, and in the page
  itself, that it would be changing the defaults of the desktop spin against
  the wishes of the Desktop SIG
- The feature wrangler brought up (on the FESCo list) last week that FESCo
  owed David a response, rather than keeping the feature open without
  any response
- Ergo, when features came up during the FESCo meeting, I mentioned that
  we should tackle this then, so that he had a response
- Discussion and vote then followed

Note also that this was the last meeting before beta freeze, and therefore
the absolute last chance for features to be approved, period. So holding
off for a longer period wasn't really practical.

Could it have been handled better? Absolutely. But given that FESCo was
already being lambasted for *not* having voted on this feature, I can only
shake my head in rueful disappointment now that it's being pilloried *for*
actually voting on the feature.

Bill