FESCo Meeting Summary - 2009-03-06

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Mar 9 21:54:32 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 04:01:37PM -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:
> Code of conduct violation enforcement is nearly impossible on the
> internet. If a person want to cause excruciating pain to everyone and,
> ultimately, halt all progress on fedora, they can. It's not even that
> hard.
>
> I'm sorry, but attemtping to enforce a code of conduct is just silly.

I've a little bit of experience here, with Sven Luther whom I
understand was banned (temporarily) from Debian.  One of only a very
few people to whom this has happened.  We worked with him on
debian-ocaml-maint, and he was eventually readmitted.  Actually I had
no issues with Sven and his contributions to OCaml were always good.

It was never a problem that the ban couldn't be enforced.  Of course
he might have gone and created some elaborate alternate identity.  But
it would have been pretty suspicious if "Len Sutter" had turned up the
next day offering contributions to OCaml and Debian PPC.  (In reality,
he just kept working on the project).

Rich.

Read my OCaml programming blog: http://camltastic.blogspot.com/
Fedora now supports 68 OCaml packages (the OPEN alternative to F#)