Please fix your bugs in release instead of rawhide!

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Mar 10 10:21:25 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 03:21:34PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Christoph Wickert wrote:
> >A note to all Fedora maintainers and especially to the Red Hat people
> >who are involved in development every day:
> >
> >           Please fix your bugs [1] in the release they were
> >         filed against instead of just closing them NEXTRELASE!
>
> Doesn't that depend on how serious the bugs are? Sometimes upstream has
> gone way ahead, changed their configuration format etc and backporting
> the fix or just pushing the update with all the other changes is too
> invasive.

While there may well be some bugs that are too complex to backport to
the current supported release, this is not the general case. I have had
faaaar too many bugs I've reported against F9/10 with trivial fixes
only ever fixed in rawhide. This can be really discouraging & annoying
as the end user reporting the issue. Of course on the flip side, I'm
guilty of only fixing some of my own components' bugs in rawhide too,
when I could have backported fixes. I think package maintainers need to
be more aware of the fact that users want their bugs fixed in the release
they are using, unless there's a good reason why not. So if a maintainer
has to close a F9/10 bug against rawhide only, then please do curtosy of
telling the user why it is not pratical to fix it in stable release it
was reported against.

Regards,
Daniel