yum-builddep pulling in i386 packages for x86_64 -devel dependencies

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 15:15:19 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 10 March 2009 15:05:25 James Antill wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 14:00 +0000, Bill Crawford wrote:
> > Perhaps what rpm (and yum, etc) really need is a way of specifying, for a
> > dependency on a library version v:
> >
> > 	major(v) == x
> > 	minor(v) > y || minor(v) == y && micro(v) >= z
>
>  If the library uses symbol versioning, this happens automatically.

That's not quite the same thing, and doesn't allow for things like "we know bug
X was fixed at this patchlevel of the library, and we have no way of checking
the library version at runtime" :o)

Good point, though. Perhaps audit-libs should use this mechanism, including
automatically adding a version to any new symbols that get added.