Password Reset

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Wed Mar 11 12:30:20 UTC 2009

Jon Masters <jcm at redhat.com> writes:
> On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 22:17 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
>> Is 4 weeks enough with 5 total emails?  4 week warning, 3 week, 2 week, 1
>> week, you've been disabled?

> I think a month is reasonable. A week is easy to miss, two weeks is a
> week plus someone getting back from vacation and missing emails while
> they were gone, then drowning as they try to catch up.

Month-long summer vacation is, or at least used to be, common in Europe.
And what of situations that are even a bit unusual, like someone getting
hurt and being in hospital for a month or two?

I don't have much of a problem with a short fuse on an easily reversible
action, like disabling your Fedora password and requiring you to reset
it.  Blocking email or removing web content should only be done after a
significant period of time --- multiple months --- has elapsed without
signs of life.

			regards, tom lane