Re: setup, fedora-release updates needed

Ondřej Vašík (ovasik redhat com) said:
>   Yep, you could not replace /etc/passwd
> (and /etc/group, /etc/shadow, /etc/gshadow) file as it always differs
> from the file installed by setup (new users/groups, passwords ... ). But
> you need those files for installation - so they have to be in filelist
> and they have to be in rpm. AFAIK there is no option to ignore files
> completely in update, so .rpmnew are created although is always
> completely useless (unless you have some script to add missing
> users/groups from that .rpmnew file).

Right, this is why (historically) we just don't change the stock
files, so you won't get .rpmnew files in any case ; all changes
to the stock entries would be done by %post scripts in the packages
where they're needed.

Of course, with the rpm-4.6 hash change, you now get .rpmnew files
on the first upgrade that uses it, regardless of whether or not
the file changed.

Bill