F10 Fresh Vanilla Install with Updates Has Broken NetworkManager

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 22:46:54 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Jud Craft <craftjml at gmail.com> wrote:
> You're right, I intentionally didn't.  But in my defense, I just
> booted the install DVD and ran the disk-check on it, and it says no
> errors found.
>
> Serious though, I'm not making up that libudev0 stuff.  "yum update"
> pulled it down and installed it, rather than updating it.  So I'm
> assuming it wasn't installed to begin with.  And yet the first-boot
> NetworkManager service (from a plain install with no updates) worked
> fine.

I'm not saying your a making it up.

Here's the problem as I see it.  libudev0 is in the release
repository, but it did not get placed on the dvd image as the
NetworkManager that came with the dvd did not depend on it. A later
NetworkManager update does depend on it. I'm not sure why your
scenario isn't picking up libudev0 and installing it. I'll have to do
more local testing to try to confirm this behavior. I've never run
into it myself, but my update habits may have prevented me from
noticing this previously.

-jef