F10 Fresh Vanilla Install with Updates Has Broken NetworkManager

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Mar 16 13:38:40 UTC 2009

On Monday, March 16 2009, Tom Lane said:
> Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> writes:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> So the real question is: why in heck did yum install an update of NM
> >> that it knew it didn't have the dependencies for?  I surmise that the
> >> install process is using --nodeps, and that seems just plain stupid.
>
> > The install process ignores dependencies it cannot satisfy because otherwise
> > you couldn't do an upgrade without added repositories.
>
> I'm not following.  Where is the use in allowing you to do a broken
> upgrade?  ISTM that in a situation like this it *should* fail until
> you add on the needed additional repositories.

The use case is that it's far better to get someone installed and then
let them clean up afterwards than have to figure out some way to do
something in the installer.  Especially as the installer's ability for
multiple repositories is, in the scheme of things, pretty recent and
broken dependencies have existed forever :-)

Jeremy