InstantMirror Project: Google Summer of Code 2009

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Thu Mar 19 03:08:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, March 18, 2009 8:53 pm, Warren Togami wrote:
> Ed Swierk wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:23 PM, Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>> The original InstantMirror certainly has its limitations, but in its
>> defense I would point out that it's survived a couple of years of
>> constant use as the default Fedora repo at my company, with zero
>> maintenance (I'm not even sure where the machine hosting it has
>> gone...).
>
> Wow, you are using it despite the lack of cleanup?  You don't run out of
>   disk space?

I use it to.  Wrote a simple script that uses rsync to cleanup.  Only need
to run it a couple times a year.  Disk space is cheap, and you really
don't need that much when you no longer mirror all of the game data you
don't need.

> Do you actually make use of the directory and filenames where it stores
> the files directly?  If not, then you will find that a reverse squid
> proxy cache works great because it cleans up after itself.

I do use it quite a bit.  Not strictly necessary, but convenient.  I also
like having the history and being able to go back to old updates packages
for debugging.

>> I see the old bzr repository is no more; I'd be happy to host the
>> current version of the code (all 120 lines of it) elsewhere if anyone
>> is interested in using or extending it. Perhaps I should rename it to
>> avoid confusion with the new-and-improved InstantMirror?
>>

> If you want to continue development of it, that would be a good idea.
> Sorry I didn't think to ask if you objected to reusing the name.  I
> thought the project was fully dead.

Might be interesting to compare my current version to it as well.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com