preupgrade F10

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Mar 20 22:09:44 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 22:02 +0000, John5342 wrote:
> 2009/3/20 Adam Miller <maxamillion at gmail.com>
>         Then why was I able to pull the new rpm without any other
>         packages
>         when going from Alpha -> Current Rawhide?
>
> Because in this particular case rpm didnt need a newer version of any
> other packages but there have been and will continue to be many cases
> where rpm does require later versions of some supporting library.
> These are the cases i think Jesse was talking about when saying that
> we cant have yum install rpm by itself first regardless. It may rely
> on some other updated package and that would fail under those
> circumstances

I don't see why it would fail. When I spoke to him, Jesse's argument was
not that it would fail (or, more precisely, that it would be any more
*likely* to fail than the current system), just that in most practical
real-world cases it would not be significantly different from the
current system and it's therefore not worth the effort to implement.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey