getting rid of gcc34

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Sat Mar 21 16:24:58 UTC 2009

Glauber Costa wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Now that we moved qemu to a newer version, that does not depend
> on compat-gcc34 anymore, I'm wondering:
>
> Is anyone else using this package? Should we get rid of it?
> I don't really see a point in keeping it, despite qemu's crazy
> old-times need to compile itself in a museum environment.

Please no, these older versions of gcc are extremely useful to C++
programmers. The differences between one version of gcc to the other
often have a significant impact over C++ code compatibility (much more
so than for C). I spent a lot of time trying to fix a K-3D build issue
related to the C++ boost library unhappy with g++ 4.4. It was very
useful to have g++34 available to fall back on a working case.

I actually maintain "compat-gcc-32-c++" here at work and am considering
submitting it for review: gcc 3.2 is even more important to C++
programmers as it works with libstdc++.so.5 (while following versions
need libstdc++.so.6). Fedora provides 'compat-libstdc++-33' for binaries
compatibility, but if you have an old binary library that uses
libstdc++.so.5, you can't use it without g++32.