PackageKit and gnome-packagekit test packages

Michal Nowak mnowak at redhat.com
Mon Mar 23 16:34:59 UTC 2009

----- "Richard Hughes" <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.packagekit.org/packages/

I'd appreciate to have there x86-64 packages too (in case is
expected to always contain fresh alpha PackageKit).

But few points anyway w.r.t. PackageKit-0.4.6-0.1.20090319git.fc11.x86_64

gpk-u-v2:

* in "List of changes:", it'd be nice to have only the changes done
in between the installed and the updating packages *and* $random_value
at most, not just the last $random_value item

* the "List of changes:" might be bolt and some bigger font also

* Wed Mar 18 13:00:00 2009 Behdad Esfahbod <besfahbo at redhat.com> - 2.6.99.behdad.20090318-1
* Fri Oct 17 14:00:00 2008 Tim Waugh <twaugh at redhat.com> 8.63-4
`------------^^^^^^^^---[not in spec file]

* "size" column is ambiguous, on first sight I expected it's pkg's
size but when the pkg is download via yum and the gpk-u-v2 started
again, it shows "0 bytes", so, I realized that it's "size to be
downloaded". I'd prefer to always have "pkg size" there

* column "Software" sort according to pkg name, not description.
I prefer to have (sub-)packages together. A lot of description
field starts with "The" or "A"...

* it'd be nice to be able to select/unselect packages via keyboard
by e.g. having keyboard cursor ("rectangle") on the first column
with checkbox

* there's a lot of room for playing with anchoring "texts" like
"bug #466507" with proper bug tracker. :)

* I guess, that table labels (like "Install", "Size", ...) can be
three-state -- ascending, descending, 'back to normal' (no arrow)
but not sure whether it was GTK+, or some other toolkit

* 'u' in "Install updates" should be capitalized, like is common
in gpk-u-i

* info "There are no updates for your computer." might be changed to
"All updates successfully installed."otherwise it looks like: "Gah,
what did I wrong that there are no updates for me?" Also bold text
and auto-disappearing window are not very common and generally should
be omitted

Thanks,
Michal