System Config Tools Cleanup Project - tools to eliminate/replace

Suren Karapetyan surenkarapetyan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 17:56:30 UTC 2009

Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> Quite a lot of people still don't want to use NetworkManager. It makes
>> little sense on a system which just sits there connected to a static IP
>> address 24/7.
>>

> I think it does because it provides a useful networking API for other
> applications to consume.  For example, answering the question "is
> there an active network link" was effectively impossible for app
> authors before.

I'm not quite sure squid/httpd/dhcpd/samba/... cares about network link.
The programs which check link availability are usually (always?) desktop
programs.
> Also, in my opinion on a well-managed network if you want a fixed IP
> address, the right way to do it is MAC matching on the DHCP server,
> not client configuration.  And NetworkManager works well in such a
> setup.

Yes that makes sense for any 10+ workstations network.
But it doesn't make sense for the 2-3 servers which serve that network,
cause they usually *never* have their ips changed.

So again this makes sense only for desktops (and of course much more
sense for laptops) but is mostly useless for servers.
And also /etc/init.d/network with dhclient also works quite well in this
setup.

What I wanted to say is "Removing old ifcfg-style network configuration
support is wrong".