System Config Tools Cleanup Project - tools to eliminate/replace

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 24 18:42:27 UTC 2009

Colin Walters wrote:
> Also, in my opinion on a well-managed network if you want a fixed IP
> address, the right way to do it is MAC matching on the DHCP server,
> not client configuration.  And NetworkManager works well in such a
> setup.

Aside from the other reasons I mentioned (which I notice Bill Crawford
echoed), I'd point out that you still need to statically assign the IP
/for the DHCP server/ ;-).

(Yes I know it was said elsewhere NM is supposed to handle static
IP's... just pointing out why it *must* be able to do so if you expect
to use it to replace the if* scripts.)

--
Matthew
  ,= ,-_-. =.    Freedom to Use