System Config Tools Cleanup Project - tools to eliminate/replace

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 03:09:37 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:00 PM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>>
>> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually, I feel s-c-network should be revived and NetworkManager be made
>>> strictly optional.
>>
>> I'd actually have to disagree. I *love* NM on my Asus (netbook).
>
> Congratulations.
>
> For me,
> - NM doesn't work on any machine w/ WLAN
> - NM is just bloated ballast on machines w/o WLAN

I believe you are in a very small minority with that view.

>>  It's
>>
>> great for laptops (or other computers that tend to move around and need to
>> deal with "foreign" networks,
>
> Seemingly it's sufficiently functional for some people in such situation. I
> don't have such demands.

It's more than functional for most people in most situations.

>> especially wireless networks), and it's "okay" for desktops.
>
> Yes, it works "sufficiently" on my desktops, but ... at which price?
> ... Instability caused by silly "dark magic",

Oh please.

> ... no cli
> ... no network profiles

Both valid concerns.

> ... bloat

Made up over used word thrown around as as a subject non specific
critic of any software someone doesn't like

> My network isn't compliated (static IPs, static topologic, yp based autofs,
> DHCP).
> It's just that NM can't handle it properly.

Since I've been told that NM can handle static IPs now, i don't see
why any of the above would be a problem.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )